The woman who accused celebrity chef Mario Batali of sexual misconduct is now featured in a recent Discovery + documentary.
“Batali: The Downfall of a Superstar Chef” premiered Thursday on the streaming service. In the documentary, former Batali restaurant waitress Eva Divirgilis accused the chef of sexually assaulting her in 2005.
According to the documentary, Divirgilis previously told part of his story anonymously on an episode of “60 Minutes,” but he has not pre-recorded his allegations.
The New York Times reported that Divergilis was one of more than 20 Batali restaurant employees who received $600,000 in compensation for allegations of sexual misconduct
MARIO BATALI CHEWED OUT FOR INCLUDING RECIPE IN SEXUAL MISCONDUCT APOLOGY
In the documentary, DiVirgilis claims that Batali invited her to a famous restaurant called “The Spotted Pig” in June 2005 after work. She shared that after work, the chef picked her up in a limo that took them to the restaurant. When they arrived, the couple had a table with candles on it and “the wine flowed”.
“I was like, ‘OK, OK, I drink a lot, I feel drunk, I have to go home, I have to open a restaurant in the morning.’ He said, “Fuck the restaurant, fuck the job, I’m the boss,” and everyone said, “Yeah!”, he recalled.
Devirgilis said right after she passed out. “And then I have a moment where he kisses me, really hard, and then I have another flash where I throw up in the toilet, it seems,” he said in a documentary He’s behind me, and there’s nothing after that.”
MARIO BATALI CUT FROM ABC’S ‘THE CHEW’
She remembers waking up on the wooden floor and thinking she might have been drugged. “I’m not that puke. I don’t faint,” Devirgilis added.
“I went into the bathroom and I saw a deep scratch on the inside of my leg. And I saw that on the back of my skirt, it looked like something, it looked like ejaculation. And when I saw it,” he said I was terrified. ,” she said.
DeVirgilis said she went to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, where she checked into the rape. He asked for a drug test, but presumably since the attack happened the night before, he probably didn’t have any potential drugs in his system, DeVirgilis explained in the documentary.
He decided not to report to the police. “I was afraid of it. I was afraid I would never work in this city. I didn’t want to file a complaint,” he said.
“I wanted to [file the report] but I wasn’t ready and I didn’t have the resources and I… wasn’t there, it’s very scary,” he later added. c Still terrible. It’s scary now.
Batali was found not guilty in a sexual assault trial in Boston in May. He also settled two lawsuits in August. In 2019, the NYPD filed two sexual misconduct cases against the famous chef.
He was first accused of sexual misconduct in December 2017. Following the allegations, Batali published a statement in his newspaper: “My behavior was wrong and there is no excuse”, adding: “I take full responsibility.” Batali concluded the letter by saying he would “work every day to regain your respect and trust.”
However, the cook was not done. “If you’re looking for a holiday-inspired breakfast, these cinnamon pizza dough rolls are a fan favorite,” Batali concluded.
Includes a photo of the roll and a link to the recipe.